About O’Dea High School
O’Dea High School is a Seattle Archdiocesan Catholic school whose mission is to educate young men and prepare them to be men of character, faith, and service. O’Dea High School provides young men with a Catholic, college preparatory education. In the spirit and tradition of the Essential Elements of an Edmund Rice Christian Brothers education, O’Dea’s diverse, single-gender learning environment lays a rich foundation for the academic and social development of our students.
Music teacher (including band and choir) for the 2018-2019 school year. (Please note: this position requires time outside of the school day for performances).
Bachelor’s degree in Music, Music Education, or a related subject (other demonstrated subject matter expertise might be considered)
Master’s degree preferred
Washington State teaching certification and current secondary Choral Music, General Music, and/or Instrumental Music endorsement preferred
Prior secondary teaching experience preferred
Music performance experience preferred
Experience/proficiency in constructivist lesson design, creative problem solving, inquiry based education, data driven instruction and/or the use of technology in the classroom is preferred.
Successful experience in teaching socioeconomically, racially, culturally, and linguistically diverse populations strongly preferred.
1. Fosters an educational environment conducive to the learning and maturation process of assigned students; plans an instructional program designed to meet individual student needs and those of whole groups which may include at risk or special needs youth; prepares lesson plans
2. Uses necessary and appropriate instructional methods and materials, which are suited to the well-being of the student and to the nature of the learning activities, program, and/or curriculum involved; implements established program or curriculum objectives; attends in-service training and continues to pursue professional growth through study and experimentation to remain current in methods and techniques for instruction.
3. Establishes and implements, in a positive and supportive manner, classroom policies and procedures governing student behavior and conduct; provides guidance, counseling, and discipline to encourage students to meet standards of achievement and conduct.
4. Confers with students, parents or guardians, and other staff, maintaining an open positive relationship as appropriate to provide guidance and evaluation, and to encourage student achievement
5. Establish classroom goals and objectives, in conformation with courses of study outlined by disciplinary curricular standards; evaluates and records student progress.
6. Collects and interprets a variety of data, provides reports for administrative purposes
7. Attends or participates in all required staff meetings and other activities deemed necessary by school administrators, in order to accomplish the objectives of the position, for professional achievement, and as part of a process of continual improvement and growth.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of: subject areas, effective behavior management techniques; effective instructional techniques, rules and procedures for student safety.
Skill in: proficiency in reading, writing, and oral communications; effective communication with parents or guardians in a diverse community; designing and implementing lesson plans for students having a wide range of achievement; using a variety of instructional strategies to engage student learning through innovative, relevant learning experiences
Ability to: interact with students in a positive and confident manner; be fair and consistent when working with a culturally, racially, and economically diverse student population; adapt to change and remain flexible; organize activities; manage student behavior; use good judgement to maintain a safe learning environment; establish and maintain positive working relationships with students, parents or guardians, staff, and administrators to provide student-centered learning; to teach a broad range of achievement levels; to integrate technology into student learning.
A competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and effectiveness will be provided. The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.