Mission - The mission of the Washington Music Educators Association is to ensure that every student in Washington state has access to a comprehensive, sequential music education taught by a qualified instructor.
WMEA's Vision - The Washington Music Educators Association provides and promotes educational resources for music educators and students in public and private schools and colleges. Opportunities for teachers to improve their skills exist through annual conferences, periodic in-service sessions and publications. WMEA believes that a comprehensive music education is a critical component of a basic education for all students.
WMEA's Goals - To advance music education by encouraging the study and making of music by all, WMEA has five major goals.
- Every student in our state's school shall study music as part of the core curriculum.
- All school music programs shall be balanced, comprehensive, and sequential, as defined by the Nationals Standards for Music and shall be provided with resources as defined in the Opportunity-To-Learn Standards for Music.
- State and District Graduation requirements shall afford the opportunity for students to be enrolled in music each year.
- All school music instruction shall be delivered by or supervised by highly qualified and certified music educators, each of whom meets state requirements.
- Music educators and those who support music education shall view WMEA as the primary association for ensuring the widespread advancement of the profession.
Opportunity - We believe that music is for all. Students must have an opportunity to learn and participate in the joy and power that music education brings in uplifting the human spirit and fostering the well-being of society. Music education provides students with learning in creativity, literacy, and life skills.
Comprehensiveness - We believe that music education must contribute to a comprehensive education for all students.
Professionalism - We believe that a well-trained music educator who meets the highest professional standards is critical to providing students with a comprehensive, balanced and sequential program of music. A professional is engaged and committed to rigorous teaching, dedication of time, advocacy, and service.
Collaboration - We believe that partnerships with arts educators and likeminded groups, parents, families, communities and other stakeholders are essential for organizational and student success. We believe we are individually and organizationally strengthened by working together to promote music, music education and policies that build a better society for all.
Leadership - We believe our association is most influential and effective when we achieve seamless integration among regional, state, division, and national administrative structures and leadership teams.
Responsibility - We believe in individually and collectively taking all practical and appropriate steps to achieve the stated goals of the association.
Advocacy - Inform and activate the public, policymakers, and educational leaders to support music as core in the complete education that must be available to all students so that they can succeed tomorrow.
Serving the Profession and the Music Educator - Engage music educators in association programs, projects, events, and professional development opportunities that serve not only their needs, but those of their students and the profession.
Organizational Vitality - Serve the needs of the members through sound fiscal practices and aligned implementation of our culture, systems, structures, and resources.
Securing the Future - Develop and maintain policies and procedures to identify, encourage and mentor future music educators.