Serving the Profession
Engage music educators in association programs, projects, events, and professional development opportunities that serve their needs, and the needs of their students and the profession.
- Strengthen partnerships with national, state, and local music, arts and other affiliate organizations.
- Provide dynamic and effective resources, materials, publications and learning opportunities.
- Facilitate implementation of the National Standards and state assessments.
- Maintain the vitality of the profession by recruiting and retaining quality music educators, and empowering teachers to lead.
Advance music education by encouraging the study and making of music by all students in Washington, regardless of demographic.
- Conduct research to identify barriers causing a disparity in access to high quality music education programs.
- Work with teachers, parents, school administrators and policymakers to adapt existing programs and develop new curricula that will better serve populations that have not historically been well represented in traditional music programs.
- Broaden diversity within the profession by encouraging students from all cultural, socio-economic, and geographic backgrounds to consider a career pathway in music education.
Inform and activate the public, policymakers and educational leaders to support music as a core subject that must be available to all students as a part of their basic education.
- Develop and maintain coalitions, alliances, partnerships and sponsorships to advance music education.
- Influence the legislative and regulatory process to support music education, to ensure that State and District graduation requirements shall afford the opportunity for students to be enrolled in music each year.
- Compel state and district decision makers to prioritize the hire of highly effective and certified music educators for all K-12 music positions.
Serve the needs of members through sound fiscal practices and effective organizational management.
- Build and maintain a digital presence to effectively communicate with our membership and manage data with accuracy and efficiency.
- Increase membership and engagement with the community.
- Exemplify our mission, vision and values in all programs, projects and communications.
- Practice responsible stewardship of our financial and human resources, fostering a culture of transparency, collaboration and harmony.